Kitchen Renovations: Get ready!
Renovating your kitchen may appear overwhelming to some. However, you can prepare yourself ahead of time, even before demolition starts. Several things can be done before hand that will facilitate your renovation process.
Define the space
Before you contact any suppliers or start shopping, measure your kitchen. It is important to measure specific elements in order to make informed decisions later. At this point, making a detailed diagram of your kitchen can help you when shopping, or meeting with your kitchen cabinet supplier. If you are changing the layout of your kitchen, make a detailed diagram of your current kitchen, as well as what you would like to change, in order to clearly illustrate what you want. The diagram doesn’t have to be complicated; it can be simple and contain only basic information. Ideally, you should have a bird’s-eye-view diagram, as well as pictures of your kitchen with your measurements in hand before beginning.
- Doors:These measurements help you to avoid any space problems when it comes to installing cabinets, counters or having new appliances delivered.
- Windows:These measurements are important for the backsplash and the cabinets which will be installed above the counter.
- Walls:These measurements provide the space available for your renovations. Note that you should measure up to the ceiling, and not just where your current cabinets end.
- Counter:These measurements should be taken from the ground up to your counter, and from the ground to where your backsplash begins.
- Appliances: Be it your sink, microwave, wine cellar, dishwasher, stove, refrigerator, it is important to measure each one to know the space available for each.
Define the changes
Then, take the time to prepare yourself and define the scope of the work:
- What is your budget? Do you need financing?
- What is the purpose of your kitchen renovation (update to help sell the house, or for you)?
- Are you maintaining the same area? Do you want to make your kitchen bigger?
- Is the desired space big enough for the various people who will be cooking in it?
- Are you changing the position of elements in your kitchen (stove, sink, refrigerator, etc.)?
- What you planning to change: the paint, counter, doors, cupboards, sink, lights, tiles on the floor, backsplash, appliances?
- Are you planning on adding windows or doors?
- What is the most important thing to have in your kitchen (more storage, space for a wine cellar, a double sink, a built-in oven)?
- When do you want your project to be completed?
General guidelines for a kitchen renovation
To better help you with your kitchen renovation, these are the main steps to follow:
- Look for inspiration: find what you like and don’t like in a kitchen (Pinterest is an excellent platform for this).
- Make a diagram of your kitchen and take the key measurements of the various elements in your kitchen.
- Contact cabinet suppliers to discuss your project and get quotes.
- Once you have chosen your service provider, they will come to formally measure your kitchen.
- Choose the material for your cabinets and get a final quote.
- Shop for flooring, backsplash and countertops.
- Demolish the old kitchen and prepare for the new one.
- Install the new flooring.
- Install the new cupboards.
- Take measurements for the new countertop.
- Install the countertop.
- Install the new backsplash.
- Enjoy your new kitchen.